Length: 15 min.
Kindegarten, 1, 2
The Art Chest is an innovative series in arts and crafts for children in the primary grades. Creative expression is emphasized while building the child’s confidence and enjoyment in simple art projects. This series provides easy-to-follow techniques in drawing, painting, paper folding, paper cutting, and sculpting, and introduces many new and creative art projects. The Art Chest is taught by Mr. Dan Mihuta.
Not Closed Captioned
1. Beginning Free Brush — The correct way to hold the brush and to use the arm to control brush strokes is demonstrated.
2. Drawing Without Lines — Students will learn the difference between drawing with and without contour lines.
3. Beginning Designs — The elements of good design are illustrated.
4. Drawing Animals — The structure method and the contour method of drawing are presented.
5. Colored Chalk — Techniques of using colored chalk to draw, blend colors, and outline for effect.
6. Sponge Painting — Various ways to use a sponge as a painting tool are illustrated.
7. Face Decorations — Masks are made using folded paper, curled paper, and tempera paint.
8. Paper Tearing — Students learn to create designs involving texture and perspective by tearing paper.
9. Like Van Gogh — Brush strokes create movement, expression, motion, and roundness. Crayon colors are blended together to create highlights.
10. Stylized People — Students will learn to draw and decorate a simplified human form.
11. Making It With Paper — Students learn to cut, curl, and glue paper.
12. Santa Claus Christmas Tree — Making this ornament illustrates the effects of torn paper versus paper cut with scissors.
13. Making Your Own Wrapping Paper — Students use rubbing techniques on raised or textured paper.
14. Clay Bowls — Students learn the art of working with clay.
15. What’s Going On At Your House? — Paper sculptures and folding techniques are used to create a house.
16. Scrap Printing — Using scrap materials, students will learn painting techniques.
17. Fold Painting — The technique of fold painting is presented, using squeeze bottles and brushes.
18. Blow Painting — Students learn to paint by blowing through a straw.
19. String Painting — Step-by-step techniques of string painting are demonstrated.
20. Finger Paint Designs — Students learn to use their hands, fingers, and thumbs as effective painting tools.
21. Your Very Own Mail Box — Paper folding, gluing, and using masking tape as reinforcement are demonstrated.
22. Wet Chalk — A demonstration of blending colors and overlapping objects is featured.
23. Free Drawing — This program demonstrates how known objects, such as letters and numbers, can be made into new objects by using the imagination.
24. Free Painting — This program demonstrates various painting strokes using a water color brush, a dry brush, and a sponge.
25. Pipe Cleaner People — This program develops creativity , finger dexterity and an understanding of the proportions and bendable parts of the human body.
26. Egg Decorations — Students will learn how to create different types of designs and how to repeat patterns.
27. Our Bunny Friends — Techniques for drawing bunnies and making paper sculpture in 3-D form are illustrated.
28. Paper Bag Puppets — As students create puppets, they learn how various parts of the face move to create expression.
29. T-Shirt Designs — Lettering layout, including letter and picture spacing, is the focus of this program.
30. Corsage For Mom — Paper sculpture techniques are featured.aper.
31. Paper Sculpture — Students learn symmetry in design as well as ways of curling construction
32. Summer Craft Ideas — Imagination and home scrap materials are used in craft creations.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
Find Us at the Following Events:
March 25-28: ND Assoc. of Secondary School Principals, Bismarck.
March 26: Family Literacy Event, Rolette, ND.
March 26-28: ND Music Educators Assoc., Bismarck.
March 30: Family Literacy Event, Warwick, ND
April 10: Family Literacy Event, Devils Lake.
April 14: Family Literacy Event, Wahpeton-Breckenridge.
April 16-18: ND STEM Network Conference, Fargo, ND.
April 20: Family Literacy Event, Tate Topa, ND.
April 21: Family Literacy Event, Minnewaukan, ND.
April 23: Family Literacy Event, Dakota Prairie, McVille, ND.
April 23-25: NDRA Reading Conference, Minot.
April 28: Family Literacy Event, Flasher, ND.
April 30: Family Literacy Event, SENDCAA, Fargo, ND.
May 29-31: Family Literacy Event at Devils Run, Devils Lake.
JUNE 6: SHARE-A-STORY LITERACY EVENT, Rheault Farm, Fargo.