Democracy It Is!
Based on the premise that everyone—including children—has a voice in a democracy, the democracy it is! programs demonstrate how young people can make a difference in their own communities.
The episodes in this first edition feature three friends, Haley, Trent, and Lily who discover the importance of rules, rights, responsibilities, and choices of citizens in our society. Program themes include the rules, rights, and responsibilities of both youth and adult citizens. Through real-life examples of student activism and participation in communities across the nation, students will learn that democracy is many things to many people. These programs will show student viewers how to make a difference in their own communities and that everyone has a voice in a democracy. The final program in this tier focuses on how students’ personal and collective choices can and do lead to meaningful changes in their communities.
1. Rules for Citizens Who needs rules? In order to make a difference in their communities, everyone!
2. Rights of Citizens Watch as youth take action to preserve their rights and the rights of their fellow students.
3. Responsibilities of Citizens Young activists show personal and communal responsibility in school and community settings.
4. Choices and Changes Make a choice for change in your community after being inspired by young activists from across the nation.
5. Principles of Democracy Explore three fundamentals of democracy — as viewed from a youth perspective.
6. Citizenship & Majority Rule The meaning of democracy comes to light through stories on responsibilities.
7. Power & Privilege Learn the relationship between power and privilege with stories in this episode.
8. Activism & Social Justice Young activists show you how to make your voices heard.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
November 20 Title I Parent Information Night – Valley City, ND