Give your students a vivid and challenging introduction to the endless fascination of psychology. Your classes will visit laboratories, mental hospitals, clinics, and therapists’ offices, and hear form researchers and practitioners probing the mysteries of personality and behavior.
Discovering Psychology combines these interviews and “field trips” with archival footage of classic experiments, outstanding computer animation, and the views of leading theorists.
1. Past, Present, and Promise — Discover psychology, a fascinating science at the crossroads of subjects, including philosophy, anthropology, biochemistry, and artificial intelligence.
2. Understanding Research — The scientific method, data collection and analysis, and the value of critical thinking in interpreting research findings are presented.
3. The Behaving Brain — Scientists explain the biochemical reactions that determine our thoughts, feelings, and actions.
4. The Responsive Brain — This program explores the relationship between the brain’s own structure and function, and feedback from the environment.
5. The Developing Child — The impact of heredity and environment on children’s development illuminates the age-old nature vs. nurture debate.
6. Language Development — How children develop complex language skills and use language in social communication is presented.
7. Sensation and Perception — This program focuses on how we process information, transforming raw sensory data into meaningful impressions.
8. Learning — Pavlov, Watson, and Skinner demonstrate the principles of classical and operant conditioning.
9. Remembering and Forgetting — This program takes a look at how all experiences become memory, why we forget, and how we can improve our memory.
10. Cognitive Processes — Explores the higher mental processes–reasoning, planning, and problem solving.
11. Judgment and Decision Making — This program examines the psychology of risk taking and negotiation—why and how we make judgments and decisions.
12. Motivation and Emotion — Aspects of motivation are revealed in studies of sexual behavior and the power of optimistic beliefs.
13. The Mind Awake and Asleep — In this episode, explore the nature of sleeping, dreaming, and altered states of consciousness.
14. The Mind Hidden and Divided — Case studies of multiple personality and split-brain patients and examples of hypnosis demonstrate the subconscious.
15. The Self — This program explores the emotional and motivational consequences of beliefs about oneself.
16. Testing and Intelligence — Psychological testing reveals how values are assigned to different abilities, behaviors, and personalities.
17. Sex and Gender — Find out how men and women are psychologically different, and see how sex roles reflect social values.
18. Maturing and Aging — This program focuses on physical and psychological aging, and shows how society reacts
19. The Power of the Situation — Discover how situational forces can manipulate beliefs and behavior and how to interpret human behavior within context.
20. Constructing Social Reality — Understanding how mental processes color our interpretations of reality may help us deal with society.
21. Psychopathology — Schizophrenia, phobias, and affective disorders are defined and explored.
22. Psychotherapy — Learn about the treatment of psychological disorders and attitudes toward the mentally ill.
23. Health, Mind, and Behavior — Examine the relationship between mind and body and learn about a new bio-psycho-social theoretical model.
24. In Space, Toward Peace — Arms negotiations, the stress of space travel, and responses to nuclear war illustrate modern psychology.
25. A Union of Opposites — This program presents a yin-yang model of complementary opposites, such as the nature-nurture dynamic.
26. New Directions — Prominent psychologists discuss the future of the field, new directions in research, theory, and application.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
Find Us at the Following Events:
May 14: Family Literacy Event, Westside Elementary, West Fargo.
May 29-31: Family Literacy Event at Devils Run, Devils Lake.
JUNE 6: SHARE-A-STORY LITERACY EVENT, Rheault Farm, Fargo.