Science in Focus: Shedding Light on Science
This workshop uses light as a theme to explore topics in physics, chemistry, biology, space science, and Earth science. Light is a common thread through many areas of science and a natural topic for interdisciplinary science study. Make connections to real world phenomena and explore the behavior of light, the transformation of energy, and the role of light in the weather, the seasons, and the production of food by plants.
1. Shine and Shadow Explores how light travels and how shadows are formed.
2. Laws of Light Investigates the absorption, reflection, and refraction of light.
3. Pigments, Paint, and Printing Investigates the effects of mixing colors of light and colors of pigment.
4. Color, Cones, and Corneas Looks at human vision and the perception of color.
5. Sunlight to Starch Examines green plants grown with and without light and discover how they use light energy to produce food in the process known as photosynthesis.
6. Energy and Ecosystems Investigates the flow of energy from plants to animals as through food webs and energy pyramids.
7. Sun and Seasons Examines how transformed energy heats the Earth unevenly, causing seasons.
8. Wind and Weather Looks at mechanisms that set the air in motion and cause weather.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
Find Us at the Following Events:
Jan. 26: ND Assoc. of School Administrators, Bismarck.
Feb. 4-6: ND Assoc. of Elementary School Principals, Bismarck.
Feb. 19-22: ND Counseling Assoc., Bismarck.
March 26, 30, 31: Family Literacy Events, Northeast Education Services Co-op.
March 20-21: ND Council of Teachers of Mathematics and ND Science Teachers Assoc., Bismarck.
March 25-28: ND Assoc. of Secondary School Principals, Bismarck.
March 26-28: ND Music Educators Assoc., Bismarck.
April 20, 21, 30: Family Literacy Events, Northeast Education Services Co-op.
April 23-25: NDRA Reading Conference, Minot.
May 29-31: Family Literacy Event at Devils Run, Devils Lake.
JUNE 6: SHARE-A-STORY LITERACY EVENT, Rheault Farm, Fargo.