Teaching Foreign Languages K-12 Workshop
This workshop will help K–12 foreign language teachers improve their practice by making connections between the National Standards for Foreign Language Learning and current research in foreign language education. Become a student yourself as you watch the videos, complete a range of activities designed to stimulate your teaching, and prepare to conduct action research in your own classroom.
1. Meaningful Interpretation — Looks at how the interpretation of texts can go beyond literal comprehension and tap into students’ background knowledge while fostering critical-thinking skills.
2. Person to Person — Discusswa how students use language to make themselves understood and to understand others.
3. Delivering the Message — Shows how students and teachers consider a variety of audiences as they create and deliver written presentations.
4. Subjects Matter — Promotes language learning within the context of other curriculum areas, such as geography, science, and language arts.
5. Rooted in Culture — Looks at the ways teachers can investigate cultural products and practices with their students and how this will help the students develop a deeper sense of the cultural perspective.
6. Valuing Diversity in Learners — Looks at how teachers can help students individually progress, as well as use students’ unique skills to contribute to the growth of the class as a whole.
7. Planning for Assessment — Addresses the value of ongoing feedback to learners.
8. Engaging With Communities — Looks at how teachers can create opportunities for students to use the target language with native speakers to enhance language learning and cultural understanding.
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
These programs have been dropped from the Instructional Resources offerings.
Sign up for our monthly e-Newsletter to learn about new programs, classroom resources, and professional development opportunities!
June - Tri-City Technology Conference in Fargo, North Dakota
June 8 - Share a Story event at Rheault Farm from 10:30 am to 4:00 pm
June 14 - Midwest KidsFest at Island Park in Fargo, North Dakota from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm
June 25-26 - Prairie Region Teacher Training Institute in Moorhead, Minnesota at Concordia College