Teaching Foreign Languages K-12 Workshop
This workshop will help K–12 foreign language teachers improve their practice by making connections between the National Standards for Foreign Language Learning and current research in foreign language education. Become a student yourself as you watch the videos, complete a range of activities designed to stimulate your teaching, and prepare to conduct action research in your own classroom.
1. Meaningful Interpretation — Looks at how the interpretation of texts can go beyond literal comprehension and tap into students’ background knowledge while fostering critical-thinking skills.
2. Person to Person — Discusswa how students use language to make themselves understood and to understand others.
3. Delivering the Message — Shows how students and teachers consider a variety of audiences as they create and deliver written presentations.
4. Subjects Matter — Promotes language learning within the context of other curriculum areas, such as geography, science, and language arts.
5. Rooted in Culture — Looks at the ways teachers can investigate cultural products and practices with their students and how this will help the students develop a deeper sense of the cultural perspective.
6. Valuing Diversity in Learners — Looks at how teachers can help students individually progress, as well as use students’ unique skills to contribute to the growth of the class as a whole.
7. Planning for Assessment — Addresses the value of ongoing feedback to learners.
8. Engaging With Communities — Looks at how teachers can create opportunities for students to use the target language with native speakers to enhance language learning and cultural understanding.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
Find Us at the Following Events:
April 14: Family Literacy Event, Wahpeton-Breckenridge, 5:30-7:30 pm.
April 16: Curious George in Detroit Lakes for reading event, 10:30 am.
April 16-18: ND STEM Network Conference, Fargo, ND.
April 18: Grant County FUN Fest & Expo, West Central Area High School, Barrett, MN, 9-noon.
April 20: Family Literacy Event, Tate Topa, ND, 5-7 p.m.
April 21: Family Literacy Event, Minnewaukan, ND, 5:30-8 p.m.
April 23: Family Literacy Event, Dakota Prairie, McVille, ND, 5:30-8 p.m.
April 23-25: NDRA Reading Conference, Minot.
April 24: Norman County East Literacy Day.
April 28: Family Literacy Event, Flasher, ND, 4:30-7:30 p.m.
April 30: Family Literacy Event, SENDCAA, Fargo, ND, 4:30-6.00 p.m.
May 29-31: Family Literacy Event at Devils Run, Devils Lake.
JUNE 6: SHARE-A-STORY LITERACY EVENT, Rheault Farm, Fargo.