World of Chemistry, The
Take your class inside a single atom — then watch as billions of atoms react explosively! The World of Chemistry explores the foundations of chemical structures and behavior using effective computer-generated simulations, interviews with distinguished scientists, and fascinating, highly reactive experiments and demonstrations that are often beyond the scope of a high school lab. Students will also visit industrial and research labs nationwide to observe the application of chemistry in everything from cosmetics to genetics.
1. The World of Chemistry — The relationships of chemistry to the other sciences and to everyday life are presented.
2. Color — The search for new colors in the mid-1800s boosted the development of modern chemistry.
3. Measurement: The Foundation of Chemistry — The distinction between accuracy and precision and their importance in commerce and science are explained.
4. Modeling the Unseen — Models are used to explain phenomena that are beyond the realm of ordinary perception.
5. A Matter of State — Matter is examined in its three principal states–gases, liquids, and solids; relating the visible world to the submicroscopic.
6. The Atom — Viewers journey inside the atom to appreciate its architectural beauty and grasp how atomic structure determines chemical behavior.
7. The Periodic Table — The development and arrangement of the Periodic Table of Elements is examined.
8. Chemical Bonds — The difference between ionic and covalent bonds are explained by the use of scientific models and examples from nature.
9. Molecular Architecture — The program examines isomers and how electronic structure of a molecule’s elements and bonds affects its shape and physical properties. CC
10. Signals from Within — Chemists’ knowledge of the interaction of radiation and matter is the basis for analytical methods of sensitivity and specificity. CC
11. The Mole — Using Avogodro’s law, the mass of a substance can be related to the number of particles contained in that mass.
12. Water — The special chemical properties of water are explored, along with the need for its protection and conservation.
13. The Driving Forces — Endothermic and exothermic reactions are investigated and the role of entropy is revealed.
14. Molecules in Action — Observing molecules during chemical reactions helps explain the role of catalysts. Dynamic equilibrium is also demonstrated.
15. The Busy Electron — The principles of electrochemical cell design are explained through batteries, sensors, and a solar-powered car.
16. The Proton in Chemistry — Demonstrations explain pH, how it is measured and the important role of acids and bases.
17. The Precious Envelope — The earth’s atmosphere is examined through theories of chemical evolution, ozone depletion, and the greenhouse effect are explained.
18. The Chemistry of the Earth — Silicon, a cornerstone of the high-tech industry, is one of the elements of the earth highlighted in this program.
19. Meatless — Malleability, ductility, and conductivity are examined, along with methods for extracting metals from ores and blending alloys.
20. On the Surface — Surface science examines how surfaces react with each other at the molecular level.
21. Carbon — The versatility of carbon’s molecular structures and the enormous range of properties of its compounds are presented.
22. The Age of Polymers — How chemists control the molecular structure to create polymers with special properties is explored.
23. Proteins: Structure and Function — The program examines proteins–polymers built from only 20 basic amino acids.
24. The Genetic Code — The structure and role of the nucleic acids DNA and RNA are investigated.
25. Chemistry and the Environment — Dump site waste management demonstrates chemistry’s benefits and problems.
26. Futures — Interviews with leaders from academia and industry explore the frontiers
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
Find Us at the Following Events:
May 14: Family Literacy Event, Westside Elementary, West Fargo.
May 29-31: Family Literacy Event at Devils Run, Devils Lake.
JUNE 6: SHARE-A-STORY LITERACY EVENT, Rheault Farm, Fargo.