Teaching Math: A Video Library, 5-8
See real middle school teachers incorporating the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics standards into their lessons, while learning as much about teaching as their students do about math. The programs demonstrate how teachers guide and assess student understanding, and offer strategies for keeping students motivated and engaged at this critical age.
1. Fraction Tracks — Using a board game, a fifth-grade class studies and practices fractions and equivalent fractions.
2. Hexominoes — A fifth-grade class studies geometry by creating hexominoes, figures made up of six squares.
3. The Location — A sixth-grade teacher uses a secret location game to teach the class about statistics, connections and reasoning.
4. Building Viewpoints — Seventh-graders learn about spatial sense and geometry from a blueprint of ancient buildings. They then create their own three-dimensional models and draw them from different viewpoints.
5. The Largest Container — Seventh- and eighth-grade students work on geometry and measurement as they attempt to create the largest container from a single sheet of paper.
6. Building Rafts With Rods — Groups of students learn about patterns, functions and problem-solving as they calculate the surface area and volume of various-sized rafts, then graph their data.
A Million Thanks
Instructional Video Resources
Use our classroom videos for every curriculum and every grade level.
Lending LibraryAccess our lending library and order form for video titles for all grade levels and subject areas.
Find Us at the Following Events:
Jan. 26: ND Assoc. of School Administrators, Bismarck.
Feb. 4-6: ND Assoc. of Elementary School Principals, Bismarck.
Feb. 19-22: ND Counseling Assoc., Bismarck.
March 26, 30, 31: Family Literacy Events, Northeast Education Services Co-op.
March 20-21: ND Council of Teachers of Mathematics and ND Science Teachers Assoc., Bismarck.
March 25-28: ND Assoc. of Secondary School Principals, Bismarck.
March 26-28: ND Music Educators Assoc., Bismarck.
April 20, 21, 30: Family Literacy Events, Northeast Education Services Co-op.
April 23-25: NDRA Reading Conference, Minot.
May 29-31: Family Literacy Event at Devils Run, Devils Lake.
JUNE 6: SHARE-A-STORY LITERACY EVENT, Rheault Farm, Fargo.